The Mentor Network is an online platform via NYU CareerNet that connects you with industry professionals and alumni who want to provide guidance and advice to NYU students. Featured in this post is one of our many talented and successful mentors!
Mentor: Feride Yalav
Company: The Guide Istanbul (magazine and website)
Position: Writer and Editor
College/University you attended: Steinhardt
- How did you find your job? Found and applied to it online
- What’s the weirdest job you ever had? I worked at a hotel for four months
- What’s the best career advice you ever received? You have to love what you do, otherwise quit and keep looking
- What is the hardest interview question you’ve ever been asked? How did you answer it? What are you political views regarding Turkey and the Middle East? (I ended up not working for this place)
- What part of your college experience prepared you most for the real world? Working with other people, time and deadline management, and learning to survive on my own
- If you could tell your college self one thing, what would it be? Go after what makes you happy and don’t stray
Interested in joining the Mentor Network? NYU students can get more details by talking to a career counselor during a counseling appointment or walk-ins!
Interested in becoming a mentor? Visit www.nyu.edu/careerdevelopment, and go to Become a Mentor within within the Employers tab or the Alumni Tab; Create an NYU CareerNet account by clicking “Register for the first time”.