As the Spring Job & Internship Fair fast approaches, there are a lot of elements that come together to make a great impression at these type of events! Here, Alicia Mucci, Campus Development Manager at KPMG, shares a few of her favorites to help you really stand out (in a good way!).
1. Review Your Resume!
- Be concise and do not exceed one page
- Keep it neat, attractive, organized, and easy to read
- Ensure formatting is consistent throughout the resume and use spell check
- State your best qualities through your work experience and on campus activities
- Be honest
- Use action verbs to describe your duties and responsibilities (e.g., developed, managed, created, etc.)
- Quantify experiences to show levels of responsibility (e.g., number of people supervised)
- Be professional and appropriate
- Avoid “buzzwords” and abbreviations
2. Dress Professionally!
- Aim for a neat, clean look
- A suit is a must for career fairs
- Remove visible body piercings and cover tattoos
- Pay attention to the fit of your clothes—make sure they aren’t too tight
- Keep perfume/cologne to a minimum
- Always think about what message you want to send. If you have to stop and wonder, “Can I get away with this?” it’s probably not a good idea.
3. Be Confident!
- Enunciate when you introduce yourself
- Be ready with your two to three sentence “elevator pitch”
- Don’t be afraid to join a conversation politely. Avoid lurking behind professionals
- Smile! You’re great!
Remember to register for the Spring Job & Internship Fair on Career Net. It takes place Thursday, January 30th from 11:00am-3:00pm at the Kimmel Center, Floors 4, 9, and 10. For more information and updates, follow #NYUCF14!