By Lisa Ganz
When I graduated from Vanderbilt in May 2013, I took a job in finance. It was a job I had basically signed on the dotted line for two years before when I was just 20 years old and received an internship offer at that company. The summer internship program was a feeder into a full-time job, and I was grateful to be gainfully employed 18 months before I was due to graduate. At the time, I remember thinking, “Wow, how could I turn this great opportunity down? What more could I ask for?”
When I found myself unhappy after a few months at that job and began actively looking for a new role, I had a much clearer understanding of what I wanted and went about my job search process in totally different way than I had a few years earlier. This time around, I was looking to jumpstart my career I wasn’t just looking for a job and looking for the following things helped me find that at AlphaSights.
1. A company that is disrupting an industry. It’s exciting to work for a company that is impacting human progress and has a unique business model that is different from any of its competitors. Every day at AlphaSights, I feel like I’m a part of something that is going to be huge, and the work I do empowers me.
2. People you want to work with. Work for a company that employs people you respect and who respect you, and one where you’ll be surrounded by people who challenge you to think. At AlphaSights, you build genuine relationships beyond just colleagues and it makes every day fun.
3. The company puts its people, not its bottom line, first. Happy employees lead to greater productivity and retention, which inadvertently leads to greater profit! So many companies I’ve worked for have lost sight of this simple fact. A paycheck can only go so far; look for a company where the leaders genuinely care about their employees’ wellbeing.
4. It fits your personality. Taking a job is a lot about fit. An employee sinking or swimming is often directly connected to whether the company is the right place for them. What is the office environment? Is it rara and collaborative, or more of an individualist mentality? Figure out what type of culture you want to be a part of.
5. You’re excited about the work. At AlphaSights, there aren’t enough hours in the day for all I need to get done, and I’m excited in the morning when I wake up to go to work. The work is stimulating and challenging. I drive my own projects and ideas, and I’m excited about what AlphaSights does at its core. We’re impacting human progress and spreading access to knowledge worldwide. Pretty cool, eh?
6. The company will help you grow professionally. Look for a company that invests in the growth of its people and gives them the skills to grow into management roles, or start their own companies. I learn something every day at AlphaSights. If I go on to do something else one day, I’m confident that I will be equipped with the skills to be successful in whatever I choose, and that’s due to AlphaSights’ investment in my growth.
7. Mobility both vertical and horizontal is promoted. Aim to work somewhere that promotes based on merit, and that encourages you to explore opportunities within the company. It’s not just about growing upwards; it’s also about growing into different roles where you can flex your skills sets.
8. Brings satisfaction. Working at AlphaSights has made both my professional and personal life fuller. We have merit bonuses and promotions; additionally, we have a quarterly awards ceremony to recognize people for different things, like being a great coach or being innovative.
It’s always motivating to reap the benefits of hard work.
9. Brings balance to life. Work should not only be challenging, but it should be fun. You want to work somewhere that respects your work life balance. At the end of the day, family and friends always come first. Life is too short to spend all your time behind a desk. Make sure your company lets you enjoy the ride too.
If the above matches what you’re looking for at your next employer, check out a career at AlphaSights! Get more info and apply to jobs by checking out the below!
Tuesday, September 16 – Seniors: Deadline to Apply to 2015 Entry Level Analyst Role
Want to meet with AlphaSights? They will be at the NYU Career Fair on Thursday, September 4th. Make sure to check out AlphaSights and our other pt/ft employers. RSVP Today!
Thursday September 4, 2014 11am – 3pm | NYU Kimmel Center
NYU students from all majors are invited to attend our largest fair of the year to explore part-time, full-time and internship opportunities. Meet with employers and learn more about both domestic and international positions.
Thursday, September 18, 2014 11am – 3pm | NYU Brooklyn Campus, Jacobs Gymnasium
NYU students are invited to attend this fair to meet with a large number of employers from diverse industries. Explore full-time, part-time and internship opportunities in fields including Engineering, Computer Hardware/Software, Technology, Science, Management, and Digital Media among others.