Dariana Colon-Bibb joined the Wasserman Center at SPS for a webinar “The Secrets to Landing a Job in PR and Corporate Communication”.
Dariana is an entrepreneur, life enthusiast and advocate for fearlessness. She was born and raised in New York City, before graduating from the prestigious all-women’s institution Spelman College and the historical boarding high school, Phillips Andover Academy, all of which are a testament to her diverse upbringing and charge to change the world. She has experience in event planning, public relations, production, team management and programming. She is knowledgeable of proper social media execution and digital marketing campaigns. She is also passionate about female advocacy and speaking on behalf of female and underprivileged youth.
Key Take-Aways from the webinar as shared by Wasserman Graduate Assistant Daniela Hornivius.
1. Disrupt the hidden job market through networking by increasing awareness of your personal brand and sharing your abilities, skills, and background. 70-80% of jobs are found through networking. These are, for example, jobs that haven’t been posted on job boards or the corporate website. An active job searching approach is more effective and should be your priority to land job or internship opportunities.
2. Build authentic relationships with your contacts by communicating a sincere interest in their work and advice. Don’t contact people to ask for a job but rather follow up with your network, exchange information and offer your help.
3. Create your own website, blog, or social media site to build your professional brand and to connect with business professionals in the industry. You can leverage your online appearance by asking experts for help or feature them on your website, blog or social media platform.
4. Keep up to date to the pulse of your industry to engage in meaningful discussion when you are building your network. People will remember you if you’re knowledgable about trends and ask questions.
5. Volunteer at conferences, seminars or workshops to expand your network, meet influencers and gain experience. Attending these events as part of your job search is a great starting point to show that you’re passionate about the industry and inquire the direct contact of an expert.
6. Stand out by researching who you are going to meet to find points of commonality or their work. It’s easier to start a conversation if you know that you have something in common by changing the perspective from “I” to “We”.
Be sure to check-out NYU CareerNet for additional employer and industry events to hear from the experts their top tips to land a job and succeed in your selected industry!